Rhode Island Office of Healthy Aging (OHA) is the chief advocate for the senior citizens of Rhode Island, older adults living with disabilities, and their caregivers. The division is committed to empowering the elderly by availing the necessary resources the residents need to undergo strong and healthy aging1. They offer a variety of services such as healthcare assistance, housing assistance, transportation assistance, food assistance, and help paying bills for seniors1.
The Area Agency on Aging in Rhode Island supports the state’s senior citizens and elderly. The centers administer a number of assistance programs. Examples include consumer education on health care, medical counseling, case management, caregiver programs, and more2.
Some examples of housing assistance for seniors in Rhode Island include:
- Housing counseling agencies that offer counseling on buying, renting, defaults, foreclosures, credit issues and reverse mortgages1.
- Rhode Island Department of Human Services which provides government services and benefits information1.
- Rhode Island Division of Elderly Affairs which offers resources for elder services, programs and information1.
- Church Community Housing Corporation (CCHC) which is dedicated to helping low- and moderate-income persons in Rhode Island to live in safe, decent, affordable housing and neighborhoods2.
- Providence Housing Authority which provides affordable housing opportunities for low-income families and elderly or disabled persons3.